Saturday 29 September 2012

1st year art & design project lsad

SCUBA
FLOATING
COLLECTING
  I had a recurring dream as a child that I was going around my home town at night floating horizontally a couple of feet above the pavement . When I took up scuba diving nearly 40 years later it was exactly this sensation . I dont know why I like it so much and i dont know why i like the cold dark waters of the Shannon so much . I have dived with sharks on coral reefs but I prefer the river . I have talked to other divers , risk and danger are certainly important , all divers like this , I personally like finding  things and the associated history , this comes back to my collecting thing.Other divers are interested in the gear, the boats , the fish or whatever but I think all these things are peripheral , central to the appeal of being underwater is the sensuality or the lack of this . you are cosseted in a womb like environment , sight sound and even the sense of touch are all severely compromised . It is a private world, you cant talk and no one can talk to you. Although potentially dangerous you feel secure no one can get at you down there .                    
   Diving , therefore , supplies 2 things important to me, sanctuary and the opportunity to collect old stuff .These are also 2 things I am dealing with in my project.
   The river can also be quite creepy , its always night down there and you never know whats around the next boulder. I like this I love a touch of the Gothic.
    I would like to express the psychological experience of diving as art ,but cant find a way as yet. Photos only give a fraction of the experience and paintings I have done look jokey.I think its going to have to be something involving several senses.
COLLECTING

DARK AND CREEPY

PAINTINGS LOOK A BIT JOKEY


EXPERIMENTING IN MY POOL

No comments:

Post a Comment