Wednesday 5 December 2012

Stations; Finished project






I've finished my project and put up 3 pieces in the corridoor outside the canteen.  These and the Jesus's in the glass case is about it. If its about any thing, its about symbolism  in religious art and my self as a child. As a small  child growing up in England  I used to stay during the summer with my grand parents in Cobh.Their house was dark and full of holy statues and pictures.I found them mysterious, simultanously scary and comforting .As I grew up this mystery disapeared the world became more mundane . These pieces with their made up symbolism are an effort to put the mystery and wonder back. I think A lot of things , once explained loose their magic. This is true of Bob Dylan lyrics and almost all surealest art as well as religious art. it's like horror movies when you realise the alien is just a man in a rubber suit the illusion is broken. its best just to suggest rather than show too much

No comments:

Post a Comment