Wednesday 23 January 2013

My First Jug

It was quite today in college so i went off to ceramics to practice throwing. I was so pleased with the result i wrote I AM 54 YEARS OLD.THIS IS MY FIRST JUG all around the body. I collect lots of old stuff, one of my favourite things is a small wine jug. Its about 2400 years old and was given to a child (the child is pictured on the jug looking in a mirror)as their first wine jug. The idea was the child would keep it through their life and it would be buried wirh them.Presumably that is what happened with this jug and hence I have it. I'm never going to be a born again christian but at 54 I may be a born again artist so thhe jug i made today can be my christening jug. There is something very satisfying makeing something usfull. This came as a susprise to me and may become one of the attractions of ceramics. I'm used to making money to buy things but making something normally factory made and then bought appeals to something deep in me. throwing on the wheel is a very nice tactile thing, it,s an art yuo could express yourself in if you were blind. I am an orthodontist by profession and the gentle carfually controled forces used to guide a pot into being remind me very much of moving teeth
I also repainted that silver piece after a while i thought the silver very tacky

No comments:

Post a Comment