Saturday 26 January 2013

Sculpture- Easter 1916

I'm starting sculpture on Monday so decided to make a start today. I found a bit of an old tool while scuba diving in the Shannon it was probably used for digging marl from the river bed. The wood is worn and has a nice texture, the metel is rusty and over time a large pebble has become fused to it. It,s a nice well balanced combination formed by man , the river and time. I,ve added 4 bullets I found while diving on the gun running ship, Aud, in Cork harbour.These bullets date from 1914. They are Russian, taken as booty by the Germans after the battle of Tanninberg and sent to the IRA as a German contribution to the Easter 1916 rising. They never got there. The ship was intercepted by the British and sunk outside Cork harbour and there they stayed in over 100 feet of water until I found them. The whole thing looks a bit like a horses jaw and could be seen as a coment on war but thats being pompous I just like showing off the stuff I find scuba diving

1 comment: