Monday 28 January 2013

sculpture elective

took home my ceramic pieces today put the hairy lady in one of my shelves she is sitting there surrounded by Roman godesses and medeival saints. Shes probabley quite at home because she is a figure from myth. admittedly a compleatly undeveloped myth of my own imagination. But useing myth and myth makeing seems a big part of art. today we heard of Joseph Beuys and his rescue by Tarter tribes men from a plane crash.This may have been true or partially myth. Certainly myth making with works involving felt, honey and fat, based on this rescue story, became part of his ouvre. I've been thinking (going from ceramics to sculpture) about the diffrence between design and fine art. I think in design there needs to be a finished product that explains itself. It says im a cup,drink from me or I'm decorative put me on your shelf. Fine art doesnt need to be finished or even an object, it doesnt need to explain it's self. it says "I am what I am make of me what you will" or as Popeye said " I yam what I yam !". The problem for me is that if there is no obvious technical skill in the making i'm not sure what is art. if i saw Carl Andres EQULIVANCE 7 on a building site I wouldn't recognise it as art but maybe on a building site it would just be bricks. In the tate its art because its sitting there saying " I'm art". I'm not saying that this is wrong and that it is poor art , just that out of context it mightn't be art.The following is a true story. Years ago I was in MOMA in New York we had our youngest daughter in a pushchair. She was asleep so we left her in the corner of the gallery and went around looking at the pictures , as we returned to her a couple were standing looking at her, asleep in the push chair , the woman said to the man, quite authoratatively "this is instalation art". It was the context fooled her!
did word maps today searching for an activity to adress in sculpture, i know it's not the point but i think they look kind of nice in themselves like antique maps or deeds

No comments:

Post a Comment