Wednesday 31 December 2014

print blogTHREE Auschwitz and Ulster

We had a brief on protest. I dont feel the need to protest about anything but I dont like violence it can intrude into your life and ruin it. I dont ask anything of others, I'm self sufficient. I'm sure there were many like me in Ulster in the 19060,s and Poland in 1939 then others came and took their families and lives from them. And many of those that did the taking are still living happily.
  I remember Ulster I had recently moved from England and had an English accent I was punched a couple of times as a result.
  I wouldn't felt any right to comment on Auschwitz except I visited it with my youngest daughter. It's defiantly the weirdest place I've ever been to. Funnily enough it was a lovely summers day when we went and the camp buildings are attractive in themselves.








the artists I was looking at were Brain Cook who did nice screen prints for 1930's travel guides and Auschwitz was and still is a travel destination  


I did screen prints of the great piles of childrens shoes. Andy Warhol did screen prints of shoes and came from eastern europe 
22
This wood cut is from a photo of soilders attacking woman. I have altered it to make the womans poses more sumissive and sexually vunerable and i have left it ambiguous as to whether the men are soilders or republicans. I think when men take the law into their own hands all sorts of bad things happen


the artist I was looking at was Robert Ballagh the pose and subject are similar.Also he is an Irish artist working at the time of the troubles To be honest I only made the connection after doing the cut and was surprised by the similarity. If I had looked it up  before doing my print I would be too influenced. I think this is one of the problems with doing reaserch  

these 2 woodcuts are of 2 soilders who were dragged out of their car and beaten to death

No comments:

Post a Comment