Saturday 27 April 2013

Pre Raphaelite plate

I got up early and did the big plate. I made it a bit pre-raphaelite looking. It struck that in the picture I used , the Magdalene girls looked very happy. maybe they were beaten if they didn't smile for the camera but I think not , the look realy cheerfull. Maybe it was a holiday, hence the photo or having a photogerpher in gave a holiday atmosphere. The the girls swanning around the convent in the sun looked like a pre-raphaelite painting and just as the pre-raphaelites hankered after a more innocent time that probably never existed the Magdalene laundries were part of the hypocrisy that promulgated the myth of a sexually innocent, holy catholic Ireland. I did a sketch. I then traced two stencils, one for the dark oxide for deep shadow and a pink slip for the faces. i put down the oxide , then the slip. Then I scratched the drawing over. I also put a pale wash on top for the white aprons.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy the way you draw. Very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete