Saturday 20 October 2012

Goodfellas and the Shell river shannon guide



In Martian Scorcese.s movie Goodfellas,the Joe Pesci charactor brings some fellow baddies to his mothers house for a meal . She shows them an amateur looking painting of a man and dog in a small boat on the river , I recognised it as from a 1975 Shell guide to the river Shannon that I own . I also knew it was in a 1979 article in National Geographic . I have a good visual memory. I think most artists do . I dont know how it got into the movie . Did the director tell some one to paint somthing suitable for a gangsters mothers house , and did one of the set artists trawl through magazines for somthing suitable ? I dont know but ithink artists do this . I noticed the cover of Jonie Mitchel's Hissing of Summer Lawns  is from an old National Geoghaphic . The canoe in Peter Doig.s "100 years ago" is also from an old magazine and a know Grason Perry uses the internet for images to use
 In the illustrations I'm doing for Isis all the images are derived from The Ladybird book of cowboys I loved Ladybird books so this, like a lot of what I'm, doing is an exploration of my child hood.
  you need to have more than a big stack of magasines , you need the memory to know " what i need is .. Ah yes i think there was one like it in ...." Its about being able to make connections, I hope unlike poor Peter de Koonig i can keep doing this for a while , the chilhood stuff I'm doing is linked to the awarness I'm getting old

No comments:

Post a Comment